The ICAR-Indian Institute of Soil and Water Conservation (ICAR-IISWC), (Formerly CSWCRTI) was established on
1st April, 1974 with Headquarters at Dehradun by combining Soil and Water Conservation Research, Demonstration and Training Centres which
were established in 1950’s at Dehradun, Kota, Bellary, Udhagamandalam, Vasad, Agra and Chandigarh. These centres were initially established
by the Govt. of India and transferred to the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) on 1st October, 1967. Subsequently two new
Research Centres were added to the CSWCRTI, one at Datia in M.P. (18th September, 1986) to tackle soil and water conservation problems of
Bundelkhand region and another at Koraput in Orissa (31st January, 1992) to address the problems of shifting cultivation areas.