International Level Hydraulic Turbine Lab
International-Level Hydraulic Turbine R & D Laboratory Brochure
Hydropower Equipment Manufacturers, independent power producers, EPC contractors, consultants,
government institution and others developing hydropower.
Alternate Hydro Energy Centre (AHEC), Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Roorkee has established an
international-level hydro turbine R & D laboratory as design and validation facility in addition to
conducting research in hydro turbines and other hydro mechanical equipment conforming to national and
The laboratory shall support the Indian small and large hydropower industry (government as well as independent)
to grow and compete in the International market in various aspects of hydroelectric power development.
The guiding parameters in setting up this Lab are as follows:
- Spearheading research and development activity in the country for hydro turbine.
- Developing human resources for small hydropower in respect of entrepreneurs, engineers, plant operators and researchers.
- Generating data and building expertise for solving site specific problems.
- Providing affordable facility to small hydro manufactures for design verification.
- Validating designs of small hydro turbine and layouts using CFD technique.
- Developing and validating flow-measuring techniques leading to optimum utilization and generation.
- Providing calibration facility for measuring instruments used for both field-testing and power-plant operation.
- Providing facilities for testing and certification of turbines.
TESTS ON SCALED MODELS
- Good overall accuracy in turbine efficiency measurement (target 0.25%)
- Repeatability (target 0.15%).
- Limiting the normal power consumption in the Laboratory to 300 kW level.
- Meeting IEC 60193 and IEC 17025 requirements.
- Flexible rig to accommodate many types and designs of turbines.
- Test conditions and parameters to be stable.
Besides above following tests are also conducted
- Weighted average efficiency and turbine output
- Cavitation’s performance
- Pressure pulsation
- Run away speed
The laboratory is equipped with state of the art SCADA based automatic control system with electromagnetic
flow meter, pressure transducers and sensors. The Laboratory has flow measurement tank and calibration tank.
There will be a provision to calibrate the instrument against weight of water.
- Characteristic Curves for the Turbine Quadrant
- Hydraulic Thrust
SALIENT FEATURES OF TEST RIG:
|Max Head m
||60 m with discharge 150 lt./s.
|Max, discharge l/s
||950 lt./s. at head of 15 m (Both Pump)
|Hydro Static Bearing
||Voith, Germany Make
|Universal Frequency counter/timer
||Agilent Make, 350 MHz, 12 digits, 100 PS
||ABB Make Electromagnetic Flow meter, 350 mm velocity range 0-10 m/s (max.)
||Yokogawa Make Differential Pressure Transmitter
||By HBM Make T12 torque meter and HBM Make Z6 Load cell
||By HBM Make T12 torque meter
|Measuring Tank and calibrator tank calibration with load cell
||Measuring tank 3no., 22T capacity RTN Type, HBM Make load cell, calibrator tank 1no. 2T Capacity, S-type HBM Make load cell
|Cavitations number Measurement
||Yokogawa Make Diff. pressure transmitter
|Size of turbine model
||Runner 350 mm for Francis Turbine
Runner 350 mm for Kaplan Turbine
||Can be configured as calibration loop by bye-passing the rig through
diverter unit in measuring tank/discharge tank
||Open and closed loop
|Reservoir size and capacity
||12.1m X 8m X 4.45m Volume 217.8m3
|Sump size and capacity
||12.1m X 7.1m X 4.45m, Volume 300.69m3
|Transfer pumps motors-4 nos
||WPIL Make, Oil lubricated, Speed 1450 rpm,
Capacity 900 m3/hr, total head 3.0m Motor: ABB Make
|Main pump-motor-2 nos. and VFD
||WPIL Make, Pump: Suction 400NS, Discharge 350NS, Speed 988rpm,
Capacity 1440 m3/hr, total head 24 m, Motor: 160 kW,985 rpm, V415 V, Siemens Make
|Dynamo-motor and Fourth quadrant VFD
||132 kW(AC), Drive and motor Siemens Make
|Feed pump-motors-2 nos.
||Kirlosker Make, 415V, 50Hz, 0.85 pf, 11 kW,1470 RPM
|Side Channel Pump-1no.
||Speck-Pumpen, Germany Make, 415V, 50Hz, 0.85 pf, 1.5 kW, 1440 RPM
||Drycool systems Make, 40TR, water temp. 310C max.
THREE DIMENSIONAL VIEW OF TEST RIG
Your suggestions on desirability and nature of such facility and its possible utilization by you are solicited.
For details with suggested format for response
Prof Arun Kumar
Professor and MNRE Chair Professor
Alternate Hydro Energy Centre,
Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee,
Phone : Off.(+91 1332) 286134, 286135, 285821
Fax : (+91 1332) 273517, 273560
E-mail : email@example.com,
Credits: The Web Team
E-Mail : emailto:firstname.lastname@example.org